Friday, November 20, 2020

Racing against the Sunset: Shifting the Process to Reaching Deadlines

 

This past week I spent creating these merged and complete models, then realizing there are slight imperfections, or areas that I know I can improve, I went back to take more photos and improve on those areas. I have two of the models completed out of the set of six, while six was the arbitrary goal set at the beginning and is flexible, I am determined to finish the other four this coming weekend in order to meet the December 1st deadline for the conference.

                A recording of my 15-minute PowerPoint presentation on the project is due on the first of December for the Society for Historical Archaeology (SHA) conference . I am willing to condense the number of models I will create down from six if need be but I intend to try and meet this initial goal. This implies I finish the rest of the models and accept the small imperfects in each model instead of the slight tweaking I have been doing this past week. I can always go back and tweak them more after the December 1st deadline or mention them in the limitations of the project.  The goal besides creating these models is to then print them and compare them in relation to the low-cost methods I am using.

                I adapted some of my methods over the past week and learned more about the capabilities of Metashape, which continues to surprise me the more I use it. A limitation last week was the processing time for each model, and I decided that due to approaching deadlines, I turned the detail down from “High” to “Medium” which processes in about 5 minutes as opposed to an hour which helped me save a lot of time working on this project. This does mean, however, that the quality of the overall model is lower albeit more than acceptable.  I additionally found that the arrow heads have a unique problem with alignment as the automatic alignment of the different chunks does not really work for these sharp and flat pieces. I learned how to manually align these chunks which is a little more time intensive but was the last step to creating the finish model and overall, was not too difficult.

                I am surprised by the quality of these 3D models since the photos themselves were taken on my phone, which is apart of the low-cost of the project, and I have realized over the course of this project that it is the quality of the input that most drastically affects the output. The greatest impact on these models is the number of photos collected in each profile; the lower the amount of photos the worse and blurrier the final result, while the higher the amount of photos collected results in a crisp high definition model. Incomplete, or missing, sections of certain models already send me back to restart the process again which is only made worse if I rush the picture process as the low resolution sends me back to do it again and correctly. This project has taught me to do my due diligence when taking the first step in the modelling process as building off of a poor photo collection is like building on a shaky foundation, it does not matter how much effort I put in after that point because it will only cause my efforts to be less than ideal.

This is one of the completed models. What was the lower half before the merging process had less photos in its profile and resulted in a blurry product. Once merged together with the higher resolution upper half, this creates a slightly jarring result. I am unsure if this will translate through the resin 3D printing process.


Update: Considering this is the last blog for this internship for the Fall 2020 semester I wanted to update my progress on this project since I wrote the blog a few days ago to showcase the goal I achieved. 

I finished three other models and were able to print them over the weekend and wanted to showcase them here. The scale on some of the models is a bit off but can easily be fixed down the road.





No comments:

Post a Comment