Friday, November 6, 2020

The Merging process

 

This past week I worked on figuring out how to merge two models together. This process is little longer than I anticipated but does not change my view on it being worth it. I did not encounter this problem earlier because the test models I was capturing were sitting on a base where I did not need to capture and in retrospect it would have probably been best to learn the merging process earlier.

I managed to successfully merge one of the artifacts together while the rest are in different stages of this process. The process involves placing a set of points on each model with the key being to place point 1 in the same location on both models. So point one will be in the same location on the artifact just placed on both models. This process is continued to at least three times, however the more points placed the higher the accuracy is during the merging processes. The purpose for placing these points is to tell the program which points match up across both models so they can align correctly.  The difficulty is in the form of finding a place on the model that is identifiable which is not always easy depending on the model, finding the right ridge on an arrowhead takes time as well as finding multiple points that are identifiable.

                Thankfully I learned that, once merged, Metashape can categorize all of the millions of points in the point cloud and separate these based off of a certainty rating that looks like a heat map. I can then easily remove all points that Metashape created yet was uncertain of its exact location while preserving the majority of points that are slotted into their correct position. This can save me a lot of time cleaning the models and removing the uncertain points by hand. This is an advanced feature I haven’t seen in free modelling programs and the longer I use this program the more I grow to understand more of its complexity.

                I still need to take this process slowly as I double check and review the steps that I am taking to get more used to it but I will go ahead and print a copy of a broken arrowhead that was created with the merged models and one with the blank side filled in by default to best see and compare the differences between them. Perhaps the detail will transfer well into the physical form or perhaps it will be too hard to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment